Right of privacy

Forwarded message:

> From: [email protected]
> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:23:47 +0100
> Subject: Re: An amendment proposal...

> Your scope of privacy seems to be rather narrow.

True enough. I figured if I kept typing I'd probably get into trouble with
somebody. Besides I just wanted to start a discussion for a couple of days
distraction.

There are many aspects of the various characteristics and I don't pretend to
be able to imagine them in all their combinatorial splendor.

One thing I know is that the social potential for video cameras in relation
to traffic management are immense. The problem is that their potential for
abuse when coupled with other sorts of technologies is absolutely
frightening. I don't believe that potential is enough to avoid them out of
hand.

> It is not only communication.
> Privacy is also needed on public places (e.g., violated by face recognition systems),
> at work places (e.g.,violated by telephone tapping), for your body (e.g., endangered by
> abortion control),

No, what is needed in public places is anonymity. We want to be treated just
like everyone else. We specificaly don't want any identity.

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]