A question about the new ISP ruling and email...

Hi,

I was pondering the draconian implications of the requirement to register
ISP's. Would an email only site be an ISP under these regulations?

What I had in mind was a box sitting here on a link to the Internet and
several local dial-ins. When a user logged in they could start pine, elm,
slip, or ppp. It would support inbound only telnet. The only commands that
would execute besides the above would be exit, quit, bye. There would not
need to be any directory access or related issues. The only storage avaiable
would be quotas on email buffer size.

Would such a commercial entity require registry to be protected?

I have to talk with a lawyer and find out if TAG needs registered. If so
then I'd be interested in participating in a civil liberties suit.

       To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice.

                                                     Confucius

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]