Re: fuck copyright (Re: Advertising Creepiness) (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:
> > You can make money from information provision by charging extra for
> > up-to-date news, or by charging so little that the cost from the
> > original provider is so low that it's not worth anyones time to
> > redistribute it,
>
> That's true now, why don't we see these effects...

We do. News inherently has a 'sell-by' date. The most obvious example is
stock quotes where delayed quotes are provided for free whereas
real-time quotes are heavily charged for. The recipients of such
information care very much about latency, since it's possible to trade
on any differences that may exist. There's even some research on attacks
that simply delay packets in such networks.

Cheers,
Frank O'Dwyer.