Re: Nationalized Public Radio

Exceprts from:
"
Text of RFE/RL President Kevin Klose's Statements

Prague, July 4 (RFE/RL) -- The following is a text of introductory remarks
by RFE/RL President Kevin Klose today at Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty:
On this Independence Day, 1996, the two-hundredth twentieth celebration of
the United States, we are also celebrating the second anniversary of the
decision to move Radio Free Europe and Radio Liberty to the former federal
parliament building here in Prague. We are deeply honored that Mrs.
Clinton has chosen our headquarters from which to make an historic,
Indpendence Day address.
History has taught that democracy cannot live in an information vacuum.
indeed, a well-informed citizenry is essential for democracy and free-market
economies to flourish. This powerful historic truth guides our radios each
day. Our servces in 23 languages provide accurate, objective news and
information to millions of people across 11 time zones.

Citizens in newly-emancipated lands can be freed from the past by the power
of information itself to establish civil societies. The stakes are enormous.
Civil societies that guard human freedoms across our broadcast regions can
guarantee a stable, peaceful future for all of Europe and the world. Our
mission to assist democratic change, to combat nationalism and racism, must
not falter.
Here at the radios you will find 350 Czechs and Americans, and men and
women from more than 20 other countries, working in harmony and partnership
to broadcast truthful information for the sake of our homelands and the
futures of our children.

Thank you, one and all. Thank you, Mrs. Clinton, for joining us to
celebrate our Independence Day.

                                       � 1996 Radio Free Europe / Radio
Liberty, Inc.
                                                  All Rights Reserved.
"

Disclaimer: This is a review and fair use, thank you very much, or should I
pack my prison garb now?  Since freedom cannot flourish in an information
vacuum this posting is probably illegal.