Re: Search and Seizure abuse...

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:22:14 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:

NOTE: I AM NOT ON CYPHERPUNKS. PLEASE Cc ME DIRECTLY.

>>We're out of luck here!  Owning explosive is verboten!
>>And real soon, passing gaz with a high content of methane will be an
>>indictable offence!  :-)
>
>Certainly you're not constraining a response to an illegal use of force to
>legal means ;-)

Well, maybe, maybe not.  It depends.  No use of becoming a martyr if nobody
cares...  Blowing a SWAT team would be just the right thing to get forever
in the klink, while blowing up the story over the net might blow-up the
klinks themselves...  It is all a question of return on investment, and what
price you can afford.  Happily enough, we now have strong encryption and the
net.  There is much less need to spill blood in order to disseminate
information.

>>Everything you own is a privilege given to you by the Ruler.  Didn't you
>>know that komrade?
>
>Rights are what you insist you have and can make stick through any means at
>your disposal.

If the use of force was optimal, historically, we'd have been living in
paradize since the first fight of all time happened.  Only, it doesn't work
that way...

> Our colonial revolutionaries certainly didn't limit the
>scope of their rights by what King George allowed.

I wholeheartedly agree, but neither did they live in the same context.
Beside, it was the only way they could act.  Nowadays, we have the phone and
the net.  But I agree that without threath of physical action, no govt
(itself based ultimately on physical threath) will ever stop doing just as
it pleases him.  Only, you don't have to come up with big house blow-up
things.  Only the menace of physical resistance and of the dissemination of
information suffice.  The govt is fed by the voluntary actions of the
citizenry.  The day large groups decide to stop paying taxes, the govt will
simply starve and grind to a halt.

Ciao

jfa

Jean-Francois Avon, B.Sc. Physics, Montreal, Canada
  DePompadour, Soci�t� d'Importation Lt�e
     Limoges fine porcelain and french crystal
  JFA Technologies, R&D physicists & engineers
     Instrumentation & control, LabView programming
PGP keys: http://bs.mit.edu:8001/pks-toplev.html
PGP ID:0xC58ADD0D:529645E8205A8A5E F87CC86FAEFEF891
PGP ID:0x5B51964D:152ACCBCD4A481B0 254011193237822C
PGP ID:0x6CBA71F7:485888E9FD68415A2945 ACCB366D38486CBA71F7