Re: y2k/gary north delusions

At 8:10 AM -0500 11/30/98, Martinus Luther wrote:

>*Real* rural life will continue of course, because people have the land
>and the skills to use it. And becauwse they tend to have stores. I don't
>know if it would be a very prosperous rural life for most people in the
>"developed" parts of the world though. I wonder what the sudden
>withdrawl of pesticides, herbicides, fertiliser, & fuel to fly the
>crop-sprayer would do to yields on the average American industrial farm?
>If the year 2000 is half as bad as North says it will be there will be a
>massive change in the balance of economic power away from North America
>and towards the so-called Third World.

	So true.

	All these would be rambo's with their Gas Guzzling SUV's, 4WD
Pickup Trucks, and 2 days supply of fuel stored up, and 4 months supply of
food right above their belt.

	Hell, half of 'em will die from heart attacks trying to get out of
the city.

>It looks like Gary North isn't really interested in the year 2000
>problem. What he is interested in seems to be guns. He's latched on to
>this issue because it allows him to think and write more about guns.
>And, like so many other gunwankers he seems to get off fantasising about
>the total collapse of civil society because that way he gets to feel
>good about his guns. All this obession with death and destruction is a
>bit strange in someone rumoured to be a Christian.

	Nah, a lot of christians are obsessed with Death & Destuction.

>Hey, maybe North is right about the USA. Maybe all the programmers will
>leave town to starve in the country. Maybe the systems will never get

	Not all. Most couldn't FIND the country.

>fixed. Maybe heavily armed gangs will take over the cities.  Maybe you
>never will rebuild your civilization.  I hope not. But if it does turn
>out that way we'll send you some foreign aid.

	Crap, if we go down, you will to.
--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent. Inc.::[email protected]