DARPA's Active Network page (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:50:56 -0500
> From: Robert Hettinga <[email protected]>
> Subject: DARPA's Active Network page

> I saw an article on this in InfoWorld. NAI/TIS and DARPA talking about
> putting self-switching packets into the network. I don't see this as too
> far off from packets purchasing their passage across the network with
> micromoney of some kind.

How does the packet know what is a good price or a bad price as it makes
each hop? Whose processor is it using to run its program to evaluate the
costs? Who pays for that processor cost on a node that isn't selected? Who
has access to the audit trail? How does a reliable copy get back to the
originator? How does it do this in an anonymous network?

          What raises the standard of living may well diminish the
          quality of life.

                                                 The Club of Rome

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [email protected]