SCC's SmartFilter Bans Crypto/Privacy Website(s) as Naughty, not Nice?

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:59:49 -0500
To: [email protected]
From: Vin McLellan <[email protected]>
Subject: SCC's SmartFilter Bans Crypto/Privacy Website(s) as Naughty, not
 Nice?
Sender: [email protected]

	This is an amazing story!  Security Computing Corporation
<http://www.scc.com> sells a content filter ("SmartFilter") which is used
to restrict web access from within corporations and other organizations.

	Lauren Weinstein, the moderator of the widely respected Privacy
Forum, a mailing list and website on the Internet at
<http://www.vortex.com>, recently reported that for over a year (see the
attached post) corporate employees at sites which use SCC's SmartFilter
have typically been restricted from accessing the Privacy Forum website or
archives because the Privacy Forum's occasional discussion of cryptography.

	These discussions -- no code, all high-level discussions of civil
and ethical values, policy, and crypto politics -- were apparently enough
to define the Privacy Forum website as a repository of "criminal skill."

	Some SCC corporate customers, according to Weinstein, had
explicitly asked for crypto resource sites on the web to be defined as
off-limits. It is still unclear how those requests (one from the corporate
site which brought the matter to Weinstein's attention) resulted in SCC
staff labelling the Privacy Forum website -- along with, one must presume,
many _many_ others --  as a repository of criminal skills.  (Other sites
which fall into this SmartFilter category include, for example, websites
which make available information about what ingredients can be used to make
a bomb. Shades of Wassenaar and ITAR.)

	What is amazing, of course, is that Secure Computing is one of the
more sophisticated  vendors in computer security. There are a lot of smart
people at SCC who will doubtless cringe when they hear this story.

	It may, in fact, seem hilarious to some of them that SCC's website
evaluation staff (and the web filters they use to express and embody their
judgements) could categorize a privacy site as "criminal" just because it
archives discussions of cryptography and crypto politics. Some of the best
of those discussions, for instance, may have involved SCC employees like
cryptographer Rick Smith;-)

	What is _really_ sad is that -- when Weinstein complained that a
website categorized as offering "criminal skills" by SCC's SmartFilter
staff may, with no recourse, suffer irrepreparable harm -- the best and
most daring response SCC could come up with was to promise to set up a
website at which organizations and commercial entities could query the SCC
database to see how SCC's website evaluators labelled them.

	(This, of course, presumes these organizations hear about SCC's
Smartfilter product.... It also presumes that representatives of those
agencies, firms, or organizations feel compelled to inquire to see if SCC's
professional moralists labelled them in some similarly eccentric category.)

	Not exactly clear on the concept, those clever SmartFilter folk.

	Frankly, not in a million years would anyone outside of the bowels
of the Hoover Building consider crypto savvy (or an obsession with privacy)
as inherently "criminal."  Not yet anyway.

	I do hope that SCC has sold a few thousand copies of SmartFilter
which  routinely block corporate employee access to some feisty, litigious,
and well-networked civil libertarian groups like the ACLU, EPIC, CDT, or PI
as repositories of Criminal Skills.  Oh, yes indeed!

	In fact, if the Privacy Forum was labelled as "criminal" because of
an ocassional discussion of crypto, does it make sense that the websites of
SDTI/RSA,  Entrust, IBM, MS, Netscape, et al, eluded the ban and some
similar label? Inquiring Minds wanna to know.

	The SmartFilter has been awarded "certification" by the
International Computer Security Association's testing labs:
<http://www.icsa.net>. The SmartFilter data sheet is at:
http://www.securecomputing.com/P_Tool_SF_Docs.html and there is a white
paper at: http://www.securecomputing.com/sfwhitep.pdf
SCC provides SmartFilter access controls adapted for both Unix and Windows
NT, as well as for the Microsoft Proxy Server, the Netscape Proxy Server,
several firewalls, the CSM Proxy Server, the NetCache Proxy Server, and the
Squid Proxy Server.

	Feliz Navidad,

		_Vin