Re: nCipher breaks what??

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:20:11 +1000 (GMT+1000)
From: Eric Young <[email protected]>
To: Matt Crawford <[email protected]>
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: nCipher breaks what??
Sender: [email protected]

>From my understanding, the nCipher attack does have some merit becuase
under some very popular OS's, it is possible for a user installed CGI
program to access memory of other processes and there is an 'elegant'
algorithm to search for a private key in memory.  I had explained what was
being done to me by the author, and it is legitimate and a bit of a worry.
The main culprite I would say is the OS's that allow the memory
access by non-parent processes.  The algorithm to find parts of the
private key and then rebuild the full private key was also quite cute.
It should be possible to implement the attack in perl, which makes
web severs which host multiple unrelated secure sites an easy target.

The only problem with the attack is that I could see no way for the
popular media to explain it without making a worse than usual mess of it
:-).

BTW, this attack is a very good selling point for nCipher :-), which
colours the message, but I still the message is very relevent.  This
attack works reguardless of using non-volotile memory for storing your
keys in memory, it is taking advantage of the way that web-servers run
application code, and the OSs often don't partition different processes
correctly.

eric ([email protected])

--
Eric Young | [email protected]

--- end forwarded text

R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [email protected]>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA