Real life pseudonyms (was re: more ideas on anonymity)

Douglas Sinclair writes:

> I don't know the US laws on pseudos.  However, here in Canada one is allowed
> to go by whatever name one wishes PROVIDED it is not for fraudulent reasons.
> This also includes signatures -- I can sign as whoever I wish.  However,
> if the contract has a clause saying "This is the name by which I am
> legally and correctly known" then you are commiting fraud by signing with a
> psuedo.  This is in the fine print of a surprising number of things <sigh>.

I remember reading or hearing something similar as it applies in the United
States.  It seems that, as long as you're not committing a crime or a fraud,
in the process, you may identify by whatever name you wish. Can anyone with
a legal background confirm or deny this?

However, I am wondering if it also legal to present false ID in order to
insure your privacy/anonymity.  And isn't misrepresenting your true identity
considered to be a fraud in and of itself?

For instance, can I walk into a U.S. bank, present false ID, and obtain a
checking account to use for legitimate reasons?  How about a credit card?
Is this legal? I mean, I'm not stealing any money/products/services from
anybody, I'm only using a pseudonym.