Re: [uk.transport] Speed Camera with OCR

The Oxfordshire police force here in the UK have introduced speed
cameras.  The way they work is to use radar to check oncoming cars
speeds, and if its over the limit the camera takes a picture of the
cars number plate.  I guess a human back at police HQ has to do the
bit about reading the plate, and then a fixed fine is sent through
the post.

They admit that there's a lot of dummy speed camera warning signs, as
they only have 3 to cover the whole of the county.  What they do is
move the cameras around every now and then.

Most regular motorists know where they are, as they're easy to see -
big grey boxes in the middle of the road.

Apparently ( I have no figures ) they've been a great success and
police are amazed at how much speeding goes on ( I'm not ).

Jon.