Visa, HNC Inc. develop neural network as a weapon to fight fraud

   Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 22:02:04 -0600
   From: "L. Detweiler" <[email protected]>

   [...]

   Furthermore, a `warning flag' system is potentially superior to the
   current system, contrary to your statement of it being a `problem' in
   that potentially no other information other than `suspicious activity
   alert' is provided. as P. Wayner indicated, the potential for simple PR
   is increased to the point that at least some customers are pleased.

I did not intend to imply that Visa's policy in particular was not to
use the neural network as a "warning flag".  I was merely pointing out
potential problems in the trend of using neural networks to make decisions
based on personal information,  including details of neural network
technology that limit their usefulness as "warning flags".  I was not
commenting on the policies of Visa, Inc.,  of which I have no personal
knowledge.

The use of AI technology by both businesses and the government to track
personal and corporate transactions is a major trend.  A former colleague
who is doing classified work along this line referred to what he was
doing as "building big brother."

Andy