Was: POISON PILL

According to [email protected]:

> :1) don't keep any sensitive stuff of your own on your own hardware,
> :put it on other peoples' machines (and let them put their stuff
> :on yours);
> :2) encrypt all of your stuff before transferring it to other peoples'
> :boxes;
> :3) send the keys that you used to do the encryption to other folks'
> :boxes as well (not the same ones on which you stored the files);

Good stuff.

> :4) if you are really paranoid, Shamir share the keys;

Please explain this to me.  What is "Shamir?"

> :5) don't keep any local copies of the plaintext, cyphertext or keys;
> :6) periodically send messages to the boxes where you have stashed
> :your files, saying "Everything is still cool, don't wipe my files
> :or my keys.";
>
> :7) if/when it hits the fan and you are pressured to reveal your stuff,
> :stop sending those messages -- the dead man switch goes off and your
> :files/keys are wiped.

Or how about if the "cool" messages stop comming in, you are to send the files
to someone else.  This way, if you "can't" send the "OK" message for some
reason, the "right" people will get the data anyway.  Is there any interest in
setting this kind of think up.  I'm currently "holding onto" some data for a
friend, and could probably manage a few Megs more if someone has the need.  In
an ideal world, this would be done on an anonymous, distributed basis.  Any
comments?

J. Michael Diehl   ;^)  |*The 2nd Amendment is there in case the
[email protected]   | Government forgets about the 1st!  <RL>
[email protected]  |*God is a good Physicist, and an even
    .fidonet.org        | better Mathematician.  <Me>
[email protected]|*I'm just looking for the opportunity to
 (505) 299-2282 (voice) | be Politically Incorrect! <Me>
Can we impeach him yet? |*Protected by 18 USC 2511 and 18 USC 2703.
PGP Key = 7C06F1 = A6 27 E1 1D 5F B2 F2 F1  12 E7 53 2D 85 A2 10 5D