Re: Subliminal Channels

Alexander Reynolds () writes:

> > Is there any published work on hiding subliminal messages
> > in pictures? It seems like that would be really easy.
>
> Read R. Key's _The Clam-Plate Orgy_ for information on how advertising
> companies (cigarette ana alcohol companies especially) add little
> airbrushed renditions of subliminally pleasing sex scenes, with intent to
> stimulate purchase of the product.  Its been done for almost 50 years now,
> and started with the tachistoscope used in movie theatres to get people to
> consume popcorn and Coca-Cola(tm) in great quantities.  Sales went up by 60%.

  Balderdash. Key is just another Freudian conspiracy theorist. I found some
of the descriptions in his book laughable to absurd. His theories don't
pan out if you talk to anyone in the advertising business. Hidden messages
are noise compared to other dominate factors like humor and flashy
graphics. _Clam-Plate Orgy_ is an example of Key's imaginative and vulgar
mind, not science. (was anyone aroused by this image? Even after
he drew in the little outlines, I still had trouble seeing anything
worth a hormonal response. I also hate clams.)

  The subliminal movie images story is bunk, urban legend.

  I hope you didn't buy any of those $39.95 subliminal tapes from
infomercials.

> But then again, laws on subliminal information are practically null, and
> those that do exist are never enforced, thanks to Big Business
> influence-peddling.

  Could it be that subliminal information effects have been found to be
practically null also? I guess Key's asburd claims fit right into the
psychology of a leftist conspiracy theorist. I wonder if the Bilderburgers
are involved?

-Ray

HELP, I'm being put into a _psychological vice_ by pseudospoofers! My
urine is being sapped out of my bladder by viscious anonymous abusers!
And now, I am being controlled by advertisements containing assorted
penile and vaginal shapes!

-- Ray Cromwell        |    Engineering is the implementation of science;    --
-- EE/Math Student     |       politics is the implementation of faith.      --
-- [email protected]  |                         - Zetetic Commentaries      --