Estimating Population Summary

 Summary of:  Estimating Population from Repetitions in
              Accumulated Random Samples

 In the latest (April 1994) issue of Cryptologia, I describe the
 development of a new technique for the statistical estimation of
 population.  An example of such a problem would be estimating the
 number of different values or codes produced by a physically-
 random number generator.

 Background

 This work is an outgrowth of a sci.crypt discussion in early 1992
 in which Nico de Vries promoted as "physically-random" a computer
 program which made use of variations between software and "IBM PC"
 hardware timing.  It was difficult to know how one could determine
 the amount of "state" (and, thus, the limit of "randomness") in
 such a mechanism.  Ross Anderson suggested measurement using the
 "birthday paradox."

 The Experimental Procedure

 The experimenter will obtain a value from the RNG and save it,
 repeating this for some fixed number of random samples, a "trial."
 Each new sample must be compared to all previous samples to see if
 there is a match or "exact double."  (The birthday paradox does not
 apply to those statistical RNG's which are designed to produce a
 sequence without value repetition.)  A trial contains enough samples
 if, on average, it produces a few doubles.  About 2.5 or 3 Sqrt(N)
 samples will be needed, given population N, but N is the value we
 wish to measure.  Producing and saving N samples may not be trivial.

 Exact Repetitions

 In a single trial, if we find two occurrences of some value, we
 have a single level-two "repetition"; this is an "exact" repetition
 count.  But if we then find another occurrence of the same value,
 we have a level-three repetition and no level-two repetitions.
 Note how increased information (another occurrence) results in
 reduced effectiveness in the level-two measurement statistic.

 Expectations

 Classical binomial equations can predict the number of expected
 exact repetitions for a given population and number of samples.
 But these equations are extremely difficult to reverse for use in
 predicting population.  Trying to use these equations with numerical
 root-finding techniques produces ambiguous results, as there are
 generally multiple roots.  Equations which _estimate_ the probability
 of repetitions are well known, but it was not previously clear how
 accurate these would be, how they could be used effectively, what
 they would mean in random sampling distribution, or how they could
 be generalized to higher repetition levels.

 Augmented Repetitions

 I have found a new, simple, exact, and easily-reversed combinatoric
 relationship between population and a value which I call "augmented
 repetitions."  An "augmented double" consists of the number of
 exact doubles (exactly two samples which have the same value),
 _plus_ contributions from exact triples, exact quads, etc.

 An exact triple may be seen as three doubles:  There are three ways
 in which an exact triple may produce exact doubles.  Therefore, for
 augmentation purposes, a triple should count as three augmented
 doubles.  Similarly, a quad or exact 4-rep may be
           4
 seen as (   )  or 6 doubles, the number of combinations of four
           2
 things taken two at a time.  When we do this, we find that simple
 equations predict the result _exactly_.

 Thus, the number of augmented repetitions at the kth level (k = 2
 means doubles), given r  exact repetitions at level i is:

              n    i
      ar  =  SUM (   ) r  .
        k    i=1   k    i

 (This is equation 2.3 which very unfortunately was printed
 incorrectly in the article.)

 That is, we multiply the number of exact matches at each level by
 the effective number of matches each could produce at the lower
 level, and accumulate an overall sum.

 Augmented Doubles and Population

 Given population N, the expected number of augmented doubles Ead
 found in s samples is _exactly_:

                 s (s - 1)
      Ead(N,s) = --------- .
                    2 N

 Given population N = 10,000 (so Sqrt(N) = 100), we can show
 the expected number of augmented doubles for various numbers
 of samples:

       s     Ead
      -----------
      100   0.495
      150   1.118
      200   1.990
      250   3.113
      300   4.485
      400   7.980

 The formula implies, of course, that the population N is
 related to augmented doubles ad and samples s as:

                  s (s - 1)
      Nad(s,ad) = ---------
                     2 ad

 which is the desired simple form for estimating population.

 Distribution

 A major issue in population measurement is the fact that the
 number of augmented doubles varies greatly over similar trials
 on the exact same population.  Thus, a single trial is essentially
 meaningless for estimating population.

 Experiments indicate that various numbers of augmented doubles
 occur in Poisson distribution over different trials, a result
 which also has theoretical support.  Therefore, we should develop
 an arithmetic mean or expected value which is the Poisson parameter.

 The Poisson distribution is asymmetric, and changes radically for
 different expected values.  In general it will be necessary to
 perform tens or hundreds of separate trials to develop an accurate
 mean for population estimation.  It is worthwhile to accumulate the
 entire distribution (rather than just a simple mean), and compare
 that shape with the ideal shape of the Poisson distribution for
 the given mean.

 The Poisson distribution also gives us a way to talk about the
 probability of finding augmented doubles Ead:

                      -Ead
      Pd(N,s) = 1 - e      .

 So, for population N = 10,000:

       s     Ead     Pd
      ------------------
      100   0.495   0.39
      150   1.118   0.67
      200   1.990   0.86
      250   3.113   0.96
      300   4.485   0.99
      400   7.980   0.9997

 It is often stated that the birthday paradox predicts a match
 with the sample size s = Sqrt(N), but this value is actually a
 little small; the expected number of augmented doubles for
 s = Sqrt(N) is 0.5 (and there are at least as many augmented
 doubles as exact doubles).  Thus, if we want one augmented double
 on average, we need something like s = 1.5 Sqrt(N) samples.  But it
 is beneficial to move the Poisson distribution toward a symmetric
 Normal curve, so 2.5 Sqrt(N) or 3 Sqrt(N) are reasonable
 experimental minimums.

 The Advance

 A new statistically-exact combinatoric relationship has been found
 between population and value repetition in random trials.  Since
 previous well-known estimates could be used for rough estimates,
 it is not clear that this is a breakthrough in practice.

 However, the identification of an applicable _exact_ relationship,
 and its expected distribution in random trials, is important in
 that it clarifies what we can expect to see in actual use.

 The paper starts with simple probability, limits itself to algebra
 and statistics, discusses the existing techniques for exact and
 other repetitions, and develops general expressions for augmented
 repetitions.  It also has tables of all possible trials for some
 tiny populations, whose resulting repetition values correspond to
 predictions exactly.  The paper also has some nice graphs of
 experimental results on larger populations, which show a real
 Poisson distribution in action, and tables show the effect of
 estimating population from the experimental results.

 ---
 Terry Ritter   [email protected]