Re: Response to Uni's "Lawsuit" Message

> > overseas subpoena; the user has to access the system somehow.  If
> > FBI's Big Brother Bill goes through, I can probably do this in
> > fifteen minutes.
>
> But if it doesn't go through, I don't see how they could trace it.  My
> call to CRL is a local call.  It might be recorded on my end, but I don't
> think CRL's phone bill would show it.  What did you have in mind?

Maybe a telephony sort can answer this authoritatively, but I think
the phone company's logs record this information even for flat-rate
local calls.  If not, you can do almost anything with access to a
modern switch...

> > . . . since the access provider will take the heat for anything
> > coming out of the account. . .
>
> Not necessarily.  Remember, they want the status of common carriers.
> Open access to all, but no control of content.

This may apply to some providers -- apparently not Netcom.

   Eli   [email protected]