Re: Steve Winter Declares War in Cyberspace

>> the internet worm.  Although his intentions weren't as evil as yours, he
>> did spend some jail time + lots of comunity time.

For the record -- 1 year probation, 400 hrs community service, large
fine ($10K if I recall right.) *NO* actual jail time... it wasn't at
all clear that the vendors weren't guilty too :-)

Crypto relevance? Well, he *did* keep his files encrypted -- but they
got them in cleartext from backups that ran during times he was
working on them -- ie, human error :-) It wouldn't have helped him to
use PGP. Oh, and all the strings in the program were encrypted with
"XOR 0x81", not all that hard to crack.

				_Mark_ <[email protected]>

ps. For technical info on the Morris program, see
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/eichin/virus/main.html for a start...
still in draft form, I'm missing some edits from the final printing.