Re: Egalitarianism vs. Strong Cryptography

In message <9408031040.AA25684@ininx> "John E. Kreznar" writes:
> In Message-Id: <[email protected]>, Mike Duvos
> wrote:
>
> > No personal attack intended.  I am a strong supporter of
> > egalitarian societies with strong social safety nets, and think
> > that youth emancipation will likely be the next big civil rights
> > movement in this country.  I am also willing to pay high taxes in
> > order to feel secure that all citizen-units are suitably housed, [etc]
>
> Yet in the present message he observes that
>
> > The lesson to be learned here is that societies based on a
> > diffuse "Web of Trust" organization are far less dangerous than
> > those based on a powerful centralized authority. [etc]
>
> Mike Duvos, how I wish I had the time to try to understand how you
> reconcile these seemingly incompatible sentiments!

Look closely.  He says that (a) he likes strong, centralized societies
but (b) they are dangerous.  Sometimes you like dangerous things.

>						      ... As a proponent
> of ``high taxes'', how can you also favor strong cryptography?  Do you
> doubt that expropriating ``high taxes'' from your neighbor will be made
> more difficult in a world with strong cryptography?

Personally I am very much against high taxes, but once again there is
no real contradiction in these viewpoints.  You will need the high
taxes to pay for all the tax inspectors trained in cryptography.

>						       In view of the
> natural diversity among people, how can you achieve an ``egalitarian
> society'' without someone who says ``Do What We Say Or We'll Kill
> You!''?

You can't, unless you are willing to kill everyone with any spirit.
But you can vote him down.
--
Jim Dixon