Re: DSPs

In message <[email protected]> Eric Blossom writes:
> > The Motorola DSP96002 does an integer multiply in 2 or 3 clocks, so a
> > 33 MHz device does 11 million multiplies (and moves) a second. The
> > chip costs about $50.
>
> The 96002 is a floating point part.  Last time I checked it cost
> several hundred dollars.  I suspect that you were refering to the
> 56001/2 family (which does cost something like $50).

I checked the 56001 data book, but it does 24 bit integer multiplies,
not 32, so I didn't quote them.  The figures I gave are for a 32-bit
integer multiply, right out of the 96002 data book.

I haven't checked 96002 prices for a couple of years.  When I last
checked it was something like 200 pounds ($300) in small quantities.
It has now been outclassed by the C40 and several other very good
DSP chips and time has passed, so I think that in production
quantities the price would at least be under the $100 mark.
--
Jim Dixon