Alt.Gvmt.Bad.Bad.Bad

From Rachel_P._Kovner:

>It was once said that (and I quote -very- loosely) "The
>price of liberty is  eternal vigilance", therefore,
>'bad government' is probably not a result of  some kind
>of evil or malicious people, but just people who do not
>guard  their rights.

It could also be said, somewhat loosely, that criminal theft is
just the result of people who do not protect their property.
For them it's as easy as falling off a log:  the big G will
just keep getting worse and taking over more (Somebody Stop
Me!).

From :Perry E. Metzger:

>Actually, as public choice economic theory has shown,
>bad government  tends to be the inevitable result of
>the evolutionary pressures on  government and
>government officials.

The 'evolutionary' pressure on Government tends to go in the
direction away from keeping accurate accounts, including
keeping an eye on the consequences of policies & procedures.
They would rather not note what the real source of new goods
and wealth is, and they would rather not keep track of the
success/failure of their legislative constructs.  All this
pressure towards backsliding on the evolutionary scale means
that the big G will accept being as dependent on others, as
some would like to be upon them.

At the very least, they're not very admirable for making the
rest of the population work so hard to prevent them from taking
everybody down with them.

Blanc