Re: Netscape the Big Win

At 1:42 AM 7/21/95, Lucky Green wrote:

>In article <ac33f977080210043230@[205.199.118.202]>, [email protected]
>(Timothy C. May) wrote:
>
>>Frankly, one of the great boons of my current setup is that I can
>>completely get away from Unix tools and commands, away from my Unix shell
>>account at Netcom, away from the arcane commands that vary from program to
>>program, away from tin and elm and emacs...my fingers are already
>>forgetting the emacs commands!
>>
>>(Those of you like Unix, fine. I agree it is useful for many things, so I'm
>>not trying to debate Unix vs. the world. Just giving my perspective, and
>>apparently the perspective of the many who are adopting the Web browsers as
>>their "operating environments," insulated from the underlying cruft.)
>
>Is this the same T.C. May that used to argue vehemently that if it can't
>be displayed on a VT52, it was no good? Did a space alien take over Tim?

If you read my messages of last December, you'll see I said this on 15
December 1994:

"I see two "stable attractors" for text/graphics/multimedia/etc. sent
over the Net:

"1. Straight text, ASCII, 80 column format. All systems can handle
this, all mailers and newsreaders can handle it, it's what the Usenet
is essentially based upon, and it gets the job done. It meets the
needs of 95% of us for 95% of our needs.

"2. The Web, for graphics, images, etc. This will be the next main
stable attractor, deployed on many platforms. (I'm assuming the debate
here about Netscape standards does not imply much of a fragmentation,
that Mosaic, Netscape, MacWeb, etc., will all basically be able to
display Web pages in much the same way.)"

I'd say this is very consistent with what I've been saying recently.

--Tim May

[email protected]   | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
408-728-0152           | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA         | black markets, collapse of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.