RE: Netscape the Big Win(dows)

At 2:54 AM 7/21/95, Robert Hettinga wrote:

>Tell us about it in 6 months, Tim, when you've grown out of Netscape. You
>sound like someone who's totally enamored with their "-works" app. Most
>people end up using more specialized apps when they hit the wall with
>something which won't get all those "general purposes" taken care of...

No, I don't use any of the "-works" apps, and I think the success of the
Web speaks for itself...this is not a view I have just come to, as my
recent message shows.

And I'm not wedded to "Netscape" per se, though that particular environment
has the current momentum. I've also used Mosaic and MacWeb to do much the
same things, but find Netscape smoother.

Out of curiousity, the phrase "grown out of Netscape," aside from the
implied barb, means what? Just what am I missing and what do I need to
"grow out of"?

If, perchance, this is just what of those throwaway barbs, implying I move
from fad to fad (as Fraering's post implied), you should know that I stuck
with tin/elm/emacs/eudora for more than 3 years, as nothing obviously
better--and worth the learning curve to switch to--had come along. (In the
Mac domain I used other programs, none of them "-works" packages.)

But, I'll tell you what, I *will* tell you about it in 6 months, whether or
not I've grown out of Netscape!

--Tim May

[email protected]   | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
408-728-0152           | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA         | black markets, collapse of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.