Re: An idea about Java and remailer clients and servers...

> Phil Fraering writes:
> >  Why not "charge" for the ability to send an anonymous message with
> >  the duty to have for a short time (maybe an hour or two) running
> >  on your machine a node in a remailer network?
>
> User X on Machine A sends a form via HTTP (or a variant- SHTTP, HTTPS, etc.)
> to Machine B.  User Y on Machine C receives an anonymous mail from Machine
> B.  Suspecting User X, User Y sends a mail to be anonymized and sent back to
> himself to User X.  User X's temporary remailer does as it's told.  User Y

 I forgot to add. There is no reason User X has to run his remailer
immediately. His software could simply commit to running a remailer for
1 hour at some specified future date < some threshold. Any messages
sent to him for remailing would be queued until that time. Therefore,
all your technique would tell you is that the user remailed a message
sometime between date X and date Y. if Y-X > few days to week or two,
the intelligence gathered on User X is miniscule. Traffic analysis would
detect User X using the remailer network anyway.

-Ray