Re: Sat phone permit "wire"taps

On Thu, 27 Jul 1995, Phil Fraering wrote:

>    From: [email protected]
>
>    I found these paragraphs in a recent Space News interesting.  They were
>    at the end of an article titled "Military Officials Open To Using
>                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>    Civilian Links" in the July 3rd issue.
>
> [...]
>      "Iridium, Globalstar, Inmarsat-P and Odyssey all plan to include
>    features to permit authorized eavesdropping, officials said.
                        ^^^^^^^^^^

Did you miss this word?  While I suspect that you don't like Title III
wiretaps, they are legal at present.  The above contemplates legal
wiretaps on some phone service that might otherwise be outside the reach
of legal wiretaps.

> Hmm. Anyone here ever heard of the Walkers, or the
Rosenbergs? >
> It's a pity that the military has decided that in its zeal to listen
> in on phone calls, that national security is an expendable asset.

The military is not authorized to listen in to any phone calls they want
to hear.  Otherwise, everyone on the list, including me, would probably
be in some hidden military prison.

:-)  for the humor-impaired.

> It looks like the Chinese or Russian Armies won't be any better by
> the time they're occupying us, unfortunately.
>
> (The really awful part is that what friends I have that are current
> or past U.S. military don't want to die, AFAIK).
>
> Phil

EBD