Re: "Junk E-Mail"

On Sun, 19 Nov 1995, Ray Cromwell wrote:

>   Is anyone else getting lots of junk e-mail lately? I'm getting all
> kinds of direct marketing crap to both of my main accounts and I haven't
> posted to usenet in months. I pretty much only post to cypherpunks, and
> that is rarely. And I never put my real email address on web sites that
> ask for them. I fear I am on some kind of direct marketing e-mail
> "list". I've warned the perpetrators that if I get another ad from
> them, they better expect a denial-of-service attack from me on their
> site and lots of mail-bombs.

I have been told that this is off-topic, but yes. And same conclusion here
that someone is passing around an old list. So far, most of the junk email
I've received is addressed to jabba@deathstar, an account I haven't used
for three years. Most of the other folks around here get junk mail
addressed to username@jessica or @mordor, when in fact we all moved to
@networking a year ago.

I happen to have a little over 50K addresses used by the valleynet.net
spammer. I don't see your address on the list, but there are 86 other
clark.net addresses, and these:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I propose a surgical strike mailbomb response -- forge unsubscribes and
complaints to postmaster from every one of these 50K addresses I have. I
know they've been spammed before; they'd probably agree. To what
addresses should I send these unsubscribes?

The list of spammed addresses is yours if you can verify who you are and
tell me what you're going to do with it.

A malicious attack might be justifiable in extreme cases. For example,
because of some really, really stupid Web and mail server design flaws,
it would have trivial for me to have erased the entire hard drives of all
of the machines at valleynet.net. But I figured picking up his password
file and telling all of his customers what I thought of him would be
almost as effective while retainng the moral high ground.

-rich