Re: Design proposal: crypto-capable generic interface

On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Raph Levien wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 1995, Carl Ellison wrote:
>
> > >Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 00:42:21 -0800 (PST)
> > >From: Raph Levien <[email protected]>
> >
> > >   I propose that the new interface lives as a sort of daemon, rather
> > >than a static collection of command line script pieces.
> >
> > Danger, Will Robinson!  (see below)

  attila->
    the daemon, in and off itself, is not dangerous -it becomes critical
if it is accessible via the port number tables. the problem with a user
invoked slave process via a socket mechanism is the same as with a .dll or
likable library: the application need to determine the authenticty of the
single application socket"

    the system wide multi-process daemon has an advantage in one respect: it
can only be loaded by the administrator, and as long as each invocation
declares (and wipes at exit) its one memory allocation, including any
pseudo-static variables --keep in mind that it must not be tied to the
external tables.  Therefore, in order to not be passing keys, passphrase,
and all that good stuff across a lan, the daemon must be able to verify
that the caller is literally local.  This works even on diskless
workstations as long as they have sufficient memory to support the
application and the processes are specified non-swappable.
 <-attila

>    In restrospect, "daemon" was a poor choice of words to describe my
> proposal. "Slave process" gets the idea across much better, but may be a
> bit less PC. A daemon sits on a publicly accessible port, such as a TCP/IP
> socket. The slave process is only accessible to the user who invoked it
> (enforced by the OS's file permissions). Further, it only gives secrets to
> individual processes that authenticated themselves first (by sending a
> passphrase down the connection to the slave process).
>
> > >   Once the negotation has been established, the application can send
> > >the daemon MIME objects that the app does not understand but the
> > >daemon does (for example, an image/fractal). The daemon can return a
> > >MIME object that the app does understand (for example, an image/ppm).
> >
> > This part sounds good...a sort of master translation service.
>
>    I'm glad you like it!

    <attila> the temptation here is to use plugins to reduce the load
component.  Again, you have the problem of tampered linkable libraries or
.dlls.  Secondly, the problem with diskless workstations rears up, again
--the diskless workstations must obtain their loadable modules from the
LAN/WAN unless RAM is infinite and everything is preloaded --except, hear
comes the LAN/WAN again before load.

    of course, both the basic daemon and all the loadable plugins can an
also be encrypted with the header containing at least lateral and linear
checksums, if not polynomial check subroutines for authentication. in both
cases, the base daemon must verify the authenticity which means it needs
a system manager modifiable list table.

    the use of public/private key pairs which can me modified for each
sight by a system manager with either a special routine or a debugger,
provides an additional level of security.

    although you could enable a similar service between the daemon and
the calling module using DH for each "session," thereby making it even
harder for an interloper to monitor any IPC connections, even if LAN/WAN
usage was permitted under these conditions --just how far do you want or
need to push the limits of "secure."  I'll answer that the usual way for
anyone who has written code, let alone secure code or crypto --to the max
--better snooping tools are alway around the corner (it's just like the
arms race).  --and, there is always the wrapper approach on top of this.
 <attila>

> > >   Alternatively, the daemon may request an authentication. This is
> > >useful when resolving external bodies that require authentication,
> > >including non-anonymous FTP, and standard authenticated HTTP. In this
> > >case, the daemon sends a message to the app requesting the
> > >authentication. It specifies whether it needs both username and
> > >password, or just password. In the latter case, it hands a username to
> > >the application.
> > >   The application can then query the user for the authentication
> > >data. It hands this back to the daemon. In reply, the daemon indicates
> > >success or failure. In case of success, it hands the object back to
> > >the app.
> >
> > Now I get worried.  This communication with the demon is via some IPC --
> > maybe even via a LAN.  Some things can't be distributed safely and
> > authentication is #2 on my list.
>
>    No, the communication is not via a LAN. On a Unix system, the
> communication is through Domain Sockets. Both processes live on the same
> machine, and the socket "lives" on the local file system.

    <attila> No, that is not is not always true; again, user space
sockets present the same security risk as loadable modules unless you have
a base socket which decrypts and authenticates each loadable module. And,
user sockets are more easily attacked.
 <attila>

>    I submit that my proposal is every bit as secure as, say, PGP is now.
> If you can't trust the operating system not to hand domain sockets from
> one process to another, then you certainly can't trust it to, for
> example, substitute different binaries for the crypto program (an attack
> which Ian et al cleverly mounted a few weeks ago).
>    If it were not the case that my proposal was as secure as PGP, then I
> would want to withdraw it. However, the proposal has so many advantages
> that I would want to see a serious description of the attack, rather than
> just feelings of endangerment to Will Robinson.
>
> > >   Encryption is a bit more tricky, but in essence you just hang a
> > >premail-alike off this kind of protocol. The hard part is specifying
> > >the key, but you just call it a "parameter" and put in hooks for the
> > >daemon to ask for whatever parameters it needs.
> >
> > Crypto keys are #1 on my list of things you can't distribute (unless they
> > are wrapped, of course).
>
>    I should have made it cleaer that I am referring to public keys. If
> public keys are on the list of things that can't be distributed, then I
> believe we are in trouble.

    <attila> in order for a "user" to decrypt public key paired messages,
the users private key must be passed to the daemon --obviously in a secure
packet which again can be initiated with DH; the alternative is a lookup
from a standardized location such as ~/.private/ring which can be
non-readable except by the owner or by the daemon running suid as the user
at the authentication level.

    Personally, I would rather pass the private key from the user module
intereface in an authentication packet and not have it necessarily visible
--the same goes for the pass phrase.

    this checking and rechecking may be necessary for maximum security on
a multi-user machine, but you may have more authentication overhead than
translation overhead in a short packet...

    and, what do you do with MickeySoft?  with as much 3.1 base code as
there appears to be from the complaints, W95 looks like a problem for
multi-process packetizing, etc. Maybe NT is better?  I do not use either
and will stay with some form of BSD (Solaris and FreeBSD currently). I
may be the last holdout on earth as the posting yesterday detailed, but I
will be a holdout.
  <attila>

> > >						 This requires that
> > >keys have some nonforgeable names, which is unfortunately not a
> > >feature of PGP 2.6.2. S/MIME will do it just fine, if you buy into the
> > >Certifcation Authority (<wink> at Nick Szabo).
> >
> > Public keys, if that's what you're talking about, have perfectly good
> > nonforgeable names -- themselves.  They are unique.  They are the proper
> > name which can collect all the attributes of that key which are of interest
> > (e.g., permission to spend $, name of a human who knows the private key,
> > attributes about that human, etc.).
>
>    Ok. But public keys have one serious disadvantage: their size. I can't
> put a public key on my business card or read it over the phone. I want a
> unforgeable key name. I want this to be the standard key name in the
> interface between the application and the crypto engine. I want users to
> be able to specify them directly, at the very least to bootstrap the
> public key infrastructure.
>    I propose using the MD5 hash of the whitespace-free MOSS
> representation of the public key, in hex. It's simple enough to be
> described in one sentence, but does everything I want.

    <attila> there is nothing that says you can not use a 64 or 128 bit
public key; nothing says you must use 1024 bits for the public. the fact
the private key is 1024 bits is irrelevant other than the fact it
increases security. there are some advantages of simplicity for
simplicity's sake! :)
  <attila>

>    Note that PGP 2.6.2 does _not_ allow the use of a public key as the
> name of a public key, unless you do a horrible hack such as replace the
> pubring.pgp file with the one public key of interest. This is a
> significant problem when trying to identify which key signed a signed
> message. I haven't bashed around with TISMOSS enough, but I'm not sure it
> will allow this either. I got the impression that it preferred the use of
> an alias.
>
> > >   One final aside: I've been fairly frustrated with this mailing list
> > >as a forum for talking about real design proposals and implementation
> > >issues. Ignorant posts by the likes of Dr. Fred and Alice d'Clueless
> > >tend to attract far more attention than real crypto work. I want a
> > >forum for, and just for, cypherpunks who write code. If I had just a
> > >smidgen more free time (as if), I'd be trying to start one
> > >myself. Anyone else?

    <attila> for a man with a piled higher and deeper, Dr. Fred's spelling
and grammer skills are quite poor, maybe 8th grade.  we dont need to deal
with the pompous holier than thou attitude from anyone.
    I too have a piled higher and deeper in information techniques (which
includes security). what's it worth?  Not much if you can not support it
with your actions and accomplishments.
    ...just open your mouth Dr. Fred so we can check your IQ (Ignorance
Quotient!).
  <attila>

> > I've seen this happen several times.  As a list gets popular, it
> > diversifies.  You might try sci.crypt.research -- since it's moderated.
>
>    Thanks for the suggestion. However, my concerns are with
> implementation and deployment, not research.  I am perfectly willing to
> consider cryptographic algorithms to be black boxes that do what they say
> they will. I think the charter exists to start a new list. John Gilmore
> has already offered to start a "coderpunks" list on toad.com. Shall we
> take him up on it?
>
> Raph

    <attila> The problem with a new list is that we really need a
moderated list;  the condition being that all messages dealing with code
pass if you are a member, but no one should be discriminated agains
membership --no politics, not even the alerts which we really should be
aware of as public "policy" (if you can call it that) does concern how we
approach crypto in general. sci.crypt.research is a little more techinical
that it needs to be and rarely has the give and take we have in this list
--particularly when we are kicking around a proposal (like the universal
translator of this thread.
    I would suggest that the code arguments be cross posted to the
current list.  we might find some interesting political considerations
may lead to proposals for code.
    The problem is the the moderator --who has the time? If not John
Gilmore, maybe TCM???
    I have more or less retired from active consulting and would do it if
I were not overcommitted including some travel for the next several months
--I do have a fast notebook, but toll charges are a bitch.  It is
important that there is "moderation" which blows away ideas despite
personal bias and preference.
    One possible way to set the moderated list is to post as we always
have to cypherpunks, and the moderator pops all the code related postings
over to [email protected] (or whereever). This means the
main list is complete, with the moderated list code limited. Once a
message thread is identified, procmail would pick up the thread and
forward it. .procmailrc commands could be handled automatically with a
small script.
    Currently, after procmail breaks incoming into lists, I sort
cypherpunks by subject and "pre-delete" all the noise discussions (other
than a few like tcm or gilmore or perry, etc.). I could get nasty with a
more aggresive procmail (mine only splits incoming into separate lists and
wipes out Dr. Fred before it even gets to any list).
    Do a few of us wish to hash this problem out in email?  Maybe we
could swap the responsibility around when someone is out of town. Count
me in, I'm all in favour of a moderated list with a reasonably controlled
membership, not just a listproc or majordome open subscribe function.

  <attila>