Re: "Proprietary" internetworking protocols (was RE: The future will be easy to use )

Pete Loshin writes:
> I was simply observing that Perry's comment:
>
> "...an internetworking protocol [e.g. SKIP] used by only
> one vendor gets nowhere."
>
> is not necessarily true, and pointed to SSL and NFS as
> counter-examples.

I disagree.

First of all, NFS was not competing with other widely available
standards.

Second of all, other vendors are committed to developing the other
standard.

What good will it be to run SKIP when your Cisco router wants to talk
to you with something else?

Perry