Re: Los Angeles Times article on Helsingius and anon.penet.fi

At 10:09 PM 9/2/96, Stanton McCandlish wrote:
>Also questionably relevant for an issue like this (more relevant perhaps
>to intellectual property issues, etc.)  The political axis most relevant
>here is civil libertarian v. authoritarian.  I don't think you'll find
>any authoritarians on the EFF board or staff.

A civil libertarian would not be speaking about limiting forms of speech to
those that are traceable. Anonymous messages are consistent with the First
Amendment. Calls for restrictions on anonymity are not consistent with a
civil liberties orientation.

(As I described in a much longer message earlier today, I can only hope
Esther Dyson simply hasn't thought enough about this issue, and about the
implications of her calls for "responsible freedom.")

--Tim May

--
[This Bible excerpt awaiting review under the U.S. Communications Decency
Act of 1996]
just watch!"....Later, up in the mountains, the younger daughter said:
"Dad's getting old. I say we should fuck him before he's too old to fuck."
So the two daughters got him drunk and screwed him all that night. Sure
enough, Dad got them pregnant, and had an incestuous bastard son....Onan
really hated the idea of doing his brother's wife and getting her pregnant
while his brother got all the credit, so he pulled out before he
came....Remember, it's not a good idea to have sex with your sister, your
brother, your parents, your pet dog, or the farm animals, unless of course
God tells you to. [excerpts from the Old Testament, Modern Vernacular
Translation, TCM, 1996]