Anonymity thread from sci.research.careers

Recently I noticed an interesting thread on the Usenet newsgroup s.c.r
regarding a Web site with a conferencing system, supposedly anonymous.
I repost several articles which some folks on cp might find interesting.

From: "Arthur E. Sowers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: sci.research.careers
Subject: Review and Warning about the "Biotech Rumor Mill"
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:16:39 -0400

Folks, I decided to visit this web site and tell all of you a few things
you ought to keep in mind.

First, the review: Yes, the "Rumor Mill" is a sort-of web-site
"newsgroup". The majority of posts and responses that I saw (not counting
the archives) were by "anonymous" posters. A good many were not
particularly "hot" (such as "why is company 'X' stock dropping?" and some
inane comments). Some were cryptic (meaning to the average person, they
might be essentially meaningless). Most were very short (1-2 sentences). A
few posts did have some information that I downloaded for use later. One
or two mentioned lawsuits (patent infringement).

Second, the warning: The Rumor Mill lets you post anonymously (as far as I
could see, but I did not try it) but THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT SOMEONE WILL
NOT KNOW WHO YOU ARE. I don't know how the Rumor Mill is operated, but I
do know that websites CAN be configured to capture information about
browser users who access that site! They can get a large amount of
information about you including your name, email address, all sorts of
information about your domain & ISP, etc. Your anonymous post may appear
to everyone else as anonymous, but the sysop (webmaster) at that site
should be presumed to be capable of determining who you are. I myself have
seen website "hit statistics" and believe me, it all shows up. You should
look in your Web Browser directory for the <cookies.txt> file and note
that some web sites that you visit will put short lines of data into your
file. You might try to change the attributes on that file to "read only"
and see what happens. Sometimes it will thwart the web site, sometimes it
will give you an error message. As a matter of fact, I did click on one
button and my netscape security window opened up to warn me that the
channel to that site was not secure. What else is related to this? There
are a number of anonymous remailers out in cyberspace, but it has been
stated by a knowledgeable source that a number of them are being operated
by law enforcement agencies (presumably to troll for criminal activity). A
website which allows rumors to be posted anonymously, especially involving
commercial business details (i.e. proprietary) but carries at least
no disclaimer that the sysop or sponsors do not use hit statistics data
to correlate it with anonymous posters and thereby determine or attempt to
determine thier identity is a website that I would avoid using. In the
worlds of politics, leaks, trial-baloons, rumor, inuendo, insinuations,
etc. are common and make for entertaining reading for those who enjoy it.
But in the world of commerce, the wrong blip in the wrong place can lead
to lawsuits, prosecution (by, for example, the Securities and Exhange
Commission), and other personal information, identity, etc., to fall into
hands that I would hope smart people might think about before they make
posts. I have the feeling that a simple post to a newsgroup through a
remailer would be safer that an anonymous post to the Rumor Mill. At
least, I would get into the configuration dialog boxes on your web browser
and leave "your name" and "your email address" blank, or put in a dummy
name. But then, you can figure out that this is a way to also send forged
mail (there was a "fake mail" website about a year or two ago, but the
sysops eventually shut it down). There is in fact a website out there that
says it can be used for anonymous web browsing (and I expect at some time
in the future that they will start charging for its use [think for a
minute why these would exist and it will be obvious]), but where I have
that little snit of paper is burried on my desk with mountains of
uncolated paperwork (sorry).

What dothey say about "buyer beware?" Caveat emptor?

Eh?

Art Sowers

=======