Re: Nonsense, absolute nonsense... [Fwd: HipCrime and Spam]

Sirs:

I must agree that having a website invites unsolicited  e-mail, if
only to comment that people have seen the site.  I send unsolicited
e-mail to website owners as part of my marketing plan.

On Or About: 11 Sep 96 at 21:34, Andy Dustman wrote:

> You're sending out messages, inviting people to visit your web site, but
> you're using anonymous remailers because... you don't want people to know
> who you are? Then why invite them to your site (or even have a site)?

That's what makes it smell fishy.  When I send  unsolicited  e-mail I
give up the whole deal: phone number and all.  If someone complains,
I make great effort to never contact that person again.  Either you
want people to know who you are or you don't.

> Which is precisely what you're doing: Sending someone e-mail
> costs them time and it often costs them money.

As I said having a website invites comments.  It's like being a
public figure.  In effect you are publishing your e-mail address.

> 4) It's giving us a bad
> rap, man, and that's the *last* thing the remailer net needs now.
> The remailers of the world don't exist
> to provide non-anonymous anonymous advertising, which you could do just as
> well on your own sending forged e-mail headers from netcom.

Just like all the seedy low life multi-level-marketing jerks!  No
need to use a remailer for that.

Just 2 cents worth.

Ross

Ross Wright
King Media: Bulk Sales of Software Media and Duplication Services
http://www.slip.net/~cdr/kingmedia
Voice: 415-206-9906