[NOISE]Re: Sex, drugs, and libertarianism

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Date: Thu Oct 31 06:51:05 1996
Steve Edwards writes:

<snip>

>I agree that the war on drugs is useless, and that prohibiting
> prostitution is even more mindless.  Still, the libertarian ideal seems
>  even
> worse.  Think about Thailand, where sex is bought and sold openly.  The
>  AIDs
> infection rate has gone from near zero to 2.5% in a couple of years, and
> promises to devastate the whole country. Burmese kids are sold into sex
> slavery.   Is this the future?  People make choices every day, but few
> people make INFORMED choices, and a lot of people, believe it or not,
>  have
> very little choice.  They are caught between the Devil and the Deep Blue
>  Sea.

1. Prostitution is (nominally) illegal in Thailand.

2. So, what would you do? (I'd still make it legal.)

The issue is more complex than many would make it out to be. Where
prostitution is legal in this country (Nevada) the marketplace seems,
without the help of Dr. Kessler and his minions, to have dictated the
universal use of condoms, and the spread of all STDs is slower than in other
areas, like here in Miami (where prostitution is (nominally) illegal.
JMR

Regards, Jim Ray -- DNRC Minister of Encryption Advocacy

"They never say: 'Please vote for me because I have an obsessive,
all-consuming need, bordering on mental illness, to live in the
White House and fly around in Air Force One and have a vast
entourage of lackeys.'" -- Dave Barry, describes Bill, Bob, and
Ross in the Miami Herald, September 22, 1996

Defeat the Duopoly! Vote Harry & Jo http://www.HarryBrowne96.org/
PGP id.E9BD6D35 51 5D A2 C3 92 2C 56 BE  53 2D 9C A1 B3 50 C9 C8
I will generate a new (and bigger) PGP key-pair on election night.
[email protected]