Re: Sandy and the Doc

Dale Thorn wrote:

> Sandy Sandfort wrote:
> > On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Toto wrote:
> > >  I am finding it hard to understand how the same people who
> > > seemed dedicated to silencing Dr. DV K on this list can
> > > then turn around and 'correct' him, or 'add to' his comments,
> > > or 'one-up' him in the insult department.
>
> > Correcting is not an insult.  His statement was incorrect or
> > incomplete.  I corrected it.  His comment was on topic, though
> > in error.  My correction was on topic.  He was not "silenced" in
> > any way.  Toto's proposition, therefore, does not make sense to me.
> > Contrary to several peoples erroneous assumptions, there will be
> > no flaming--of anyone--on the moderated list.  When moderation is
> > under weigh, I will do nothing to restrain flaming on the flame
> > and unedited lists.  Toto's prejudice (in the literal sense of the
> > word, i.e., "to pre-judge") is showing.
>
> Please don't get the wrong idea, that I'm paranoid or something, but
> I think I just saw a tiny leak, a miniscule Freudian slip of sorts -
> Sandy says "I will do nothing to restrain ..... the unedited list...".
>
> Do we now have to have occasional assurances that the "unedited" list
> is not being restrained?  I thought that was a given, beyond question
> of any kind.  I thought *all* of the controversy revolved around the
> edited/censored list (having stole the original list's name), and that
> everyone understood that the uncensored list was untouchable.  But now
> Sandy is taken to offering reassurances.  What's next??

I am getting tired now, but here is a proposed solution. You suspect
Prof. Sandfort in an intention to edit "unedited" list. You do not trust
administrators of toad.com.

I hope though that there are people whom you somewhat trust.

If you trust me, or someone else, like Prof. Dave Hayes, here's what
we can do: I establish a sendmail alias [email protected] that
expands to, say, your address and also [email protected].

You can encourage all people, whom you expect to be censored on the
unedited list, to post through [email protected]. I can even set
up a little program that would digitally sign receipts of all messages
coming to [email protected]. You and anyone else can receive such
receipts.

It means that you, Dale Thorn, in cooperation with other readers but
WITHOUT cooperation from toad.com, will be able to see which articles
sent through algebra.com finally made it to the unedited list. Not all
posters will use such service, but you can expect the "censored" people
to do so.

If you indeed notice an impropriety, the digitally signed receipts
will be your proof that articles were submitted. As long as the
other readers trust me (or Dave Hayes, or whoever volunteers), you
will have a strong case even without relying on freudian slips.

	- Igor.