Re: Inside the Cypherpunks Cult (fwd)

Forwarded message:

> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 14:45:13 -0700
> From: Tim May <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Inside the Cypherpunks Cult (fwd)

> By the way, a more recent example than that of the Whiskey Rebellion of
> U.S. troops (regular army, not state Guard units) being used within the
> U.S. against U.S. citizens was the action by Hoover against the
> strikers/rioters and "Hooverville" residents in D.C., circa 1930. Hoover
> sent in Army troops, led by either Gen. Pershing,

It was McArthur and the way it was carried out is completely constitutional.

I will first include the relevant section of the Constitution:

	To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over
such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of
particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of
Government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all
Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which
the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards,
and other needful Buildings;

Notice in the first sentence it gives Congress the power of 'exclusive
Legislation in all Cases whatsoever'. What this means is that within the
District of Columbia the Congress and NOT the Constitution is the supreme
law and they do NOT have any responsibility to abide by the Constitution
either in spirit or act.

If you want to have a demonstration AND you want Constitutional protection
don't do it within that 10 square miles...

I believe strongly that the founders did not intend anyone to actualy live
within the 10 square miles set aside for such business. It was intended to
be used exclusively for the physical local of the various agencies and no
more.

   |          Participation requires more than just bitching!           |
   |        /:'///// ``::>/|/                     http:// www.ssz.com/  |
   |                                                 [email protected]     |