Re: Removing Tyranny from Democracy (Part II), (fwd)

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Jim Choate wrote:

> Let's look at an admittedly contrived example but I believe it will suffice.
> There are two fires at opposite ends of the coverage area for a fire house.
> On Saturday they receive a call to go to one end, where the wealthy live.
> Would you have the owner pay prior to the firemen putting the fire out?
> Would they pay some premium beforehand? Now on Sunday a fire occurs on the
> other end where the poor are. Assuming they can't pay the bill would the
> firemen drive away? If so, wouldn't this in fact pose a threat not only to
> the other poor but also the wealthy since the fire might spread if it got
> large enough. Would the wealthy then be asked to pay for that run of the
> fire truck? What if they refused, how would the firemen pay for the food to
> feed their family? Perhaps go out and burn down more rich houses...

Incorrect, Citizen Unit Choate.  Firemen do not put out fires, where did
you come up with such a notion?  All houses are fireproof.  Firemen burn
books. Books are evil.  Have you any books Citizen Unit Choate?  Perhaps
hiding in your toaster, or oven, or a cored out television set?  Perhaps
books on crypto?  Bend over to the state, Citizen Unit Choate - of course
we will remove the appropriate fines from your savings, the Firemen have
to be paid, of course, and the victims of your evil books have to be
compensated.  The poor congressmen and TLA agents..

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.
..\|/..|[email protected]|you once again. I thought you were      |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |hiding, and you thought that I had run  |\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |away chasing the tail of dogma. I opened|.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|my eye and there we were....            |.....