RE: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the Foregone (fwd)

> You missed my point.  What I'm trying to point out is that no
> government (or any other body, for that matter) can prevent
> someone from doing something. All the state can do (and does,
> if you look closely) is offer to punish anyone who disobeys it.

Again that is simply incorrect, or do you wish to tell me that our military
has not prevented the invasion of the continental US in this century, or
that it did not prevent the Soviet Union from expanding across Europe? You
cannot completely discount *deterrent force*, although it is greatly
overrated.

Nor can a government use *retribution force* if it does not know the
perpetrator.

Your statement boils down to the government is not omnipotent. Well duh!

	Matt