RE: Advertising Creepiness

My comments on this:

Consider what advertising does:  it notifies potential users/consumers about
products and services which might be of use or pleasure to them.

Consider who a potential audience/market is:  people who might be interested in
availing themselves of these products/services if they but knew of their
existence.

Advertising  which is in keeping with the theme of the medium's message is not
quite so obnoxious:  for instance, when looking over a magazine like Cigar
Afficionado, which is about smoking and enjoying "the good life", I see ads for
cigar accessories and after-dinner liquors and places where a person can order a
glass of Corvoisier (sp) and light up in good company.  The ads are a logical
extension of what one expects to find in those pages, they allow the reader to
see where they might find and purchase the goods they are reading about and
indulge in their pleasure, and so are not a nuisance - in particular as their
presentation is aesthetically pleasing and in good taste.

I don't expect to find there advertisements from Nature's Pantry Health Foods or
an Orthopedic Hospital.   I can't think right now just what advertising would be
so pertinent to a news magazine in cyberspace, but I imagine the same principle
applies and would make ads less a mere distraction, less jarring to the
attention.

Marketers aren't logical, though, are they.  :

    : )

   ..
Blanc