Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 05:27:31 -0800
To: [email protected], [email protected]
From: Dave Del Torto <[email protected]>
Subject: KRA on ADK vs KR, NAI membership
Cc: [email protected], [email protected]

................................. cut here .................................
My Inquiry to the KRA:

To: [email protected]
Subject: request for information

Hello,

I have some questions about the KRA.

1. In your FAQ <http://www.kra.org/FAQS1209.html>, you state that one of the
organization's goals is to:

  "Serve as a focal point for industry efforts to develop commercially
   acceptable solutions for recovery of encrypted information"

This seems to allow that there may be valid encrypted _data_ recovery
methods other than _key_ recovery using the KRA's "common key recovery
block" (still under discussion). However, I'm not aware of the KRA's public
position on the recovery of plaintext using cryptographically sound and
ethically responsible alternatives to the escrowing of keys in
organizational situations, e.g. PGP's Additional Decryption Key (ADK)
mechanism. What is the KRA's public position on PGP's ADK?

2. A public debate has recently arisen because the KRA website's member
roster indicates that Network Associates (NAI) is a member of the KRA. NAI
representatives, however, have publicly contraindicated this. Can you
clarify NAI's membership status in the KRA, specifically:

A. On what date (if ever) did NAI apply for membership in the KRA?
B. Is the KRA in possession of any evidence (letter, etc) to show that NAI
    was or is a member of the KRA?

C. If NAI was a member of the KRA at any time, on what date did a
    corporate officer of NAI formally withdraw NAI from the KRA, if ever?
D. Regarding KRA membership policy, if a company is not a member itself
    but acquires another company that is a KRA member, but, does
    this acquisition automatically confer membership status on the parent
    company, or is a formal request to "expand" the company's membership
    necessary?
E. If NAI was not a member of the KRA at the time of its Trusted
    Information Systems (TIS) acquisition, did the KRA receive a request
    from any NAI representative to expand TIS's membership to all of NAI?

3. KRA member companies are listed with their web URLs, but no individual
contact name/phone/email is provided for any of them. Can you supply a
complete listing of the designated contacts (corporate representatives) at
each of the KRA member organizations, should one want to discuss with them
their respective companies' KR positions or proposals? For example, if, in
fact, the KRA website is correct to list NAI as a member, then who is NAI's
official KRA representative?

Thank you in advance for your prompt clarification.

   dave

Dave Del Torto        +1.415.334.5533          CSO & VP Security Consulting
                       <mailto:[email protected]>         Level Seven Digital Labs
PGP Key:  <http://pgp.ai.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=getsearch=0x28C029AF>
Fingerprint: 9b29 031d 70de f566 e076 b108 904d fea3 28c0 29af / Size: 4096

The KRA's prompt reply (signed by me to indicate what I received):