Question about general patents

I was wondering... what is the current law in the United States about
patenting of software programs, and does anyone know where I can find out if
there are any standard international laws about the patenting of software.

I have products that I and the rest of my company have designed that we need
patented, unfortunatly the South African patent act reads like this:

(Republic of South Africa, Patents act no. 57 of 1978)
Section 2.2.1:

Anything which consists of a discovery; a scientific theory; a mathematical
concept; a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work or any other
aesthetic creation, a scheme, rule or method for performing a mental act,
playing a game or doing business, a program for a computer; or the
presentation of information, is not regarded as an invention for the
purposes of the Patents Act.

If there is any other way to protect my software and my designs
internationally, or under any international treaties etc, and anyone knows
of such a way, please drop me an email, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew Alston