Problems with Definitions in Escrow

Responding to msg by James A. Donald:

If you *define* reputations to be something formal and
explicit, and say that the system will work because
people  guard their reputations, then reputations
become something  that can be most efficiently granted
and withdrawn by some  centralized authority.
    . . . . . . . . . . .
I am complaining about dangerous carelessness in your
use  and definition of words.  Your use of the word
reputation  is as fraught with frightful consequences
as Marx's use  of the word "value".

Perhaps when you decry the establishment of 'definitions' you
mean that a concept should not be circumbscribed tightly within
the boundaries of a pre-determined range of meaning?

I thought  what Hal intended by 'examining & defining' a term,
was simply to assess what it means to those who are seeking to
apply it, rather than intending to confine it in advance of any
real knowledge of its actual reference.

Blanc