Scenario for a Ban on Cash Transactions

Cypherpunks of the World,

I'm relatively convinced that the various "trial balloons" for
restricting the use of encryption are part and parcel of a larger,
albeit not formally discussed, plan to adopt some form of a digital
cash system. Before your start cheering, it is highly unlikely that
this system will the "digital cash" system of the form we have been
discussing (anonymous transactions, untraceability, David Chaum-style
systems, etc.).

My grim scenario is contained in the message below, which I just
posted to another list, the "Extropians" list.

--Tim May