whistleblower newsgroup?

Mulling over K. Goen's somewhat rambling, irate, and paranoid prose
(but nevertheless mildly entertaining) has caused various random
ideas to pop into my head on how to get pseudonymity/anonymity
into the mainstream and even the spotlight, toward the goal of
widespread public recognition, acceptance, and use to the point of
dependence, all in a nonthreatening way.

First of all, there have been a lot of famous uses of anonymity and
pseudonymity, esp. in literature. It might be interesting for PR purposes
to collect a long list of everyone who has used aliases.  When people
start saying `wow, he's my favorite author, I didn't know he was someone
else' that would be great.  A sort of long history of anonymity and
pseudonymity would be perfect. Deep Throat, Voltaire, Mark Twain, I think
even Scott Fitzgerald was a pseudonym.  Also, what about anonymous letters?
Did Martin Luther first post the `indulgence complaints' anonymously?
I'm sure there's some cases where anonymous information changed the course
of world history significantly (esp. during wars). Anonymous tips leading
to big busts, that kind of thing. (Remember the Lockerbie plane terrorist
crash? There was an anonymous tip to authorities that virtually pinpointed
the flight origination and bomb mechanism.)  Anybody know any, please
send them to me, and I'll summarize to the group and credit you.  (please
give references where possible.)  If it works out I'll donate it to
K. Goen, assuming he hasn't been arrested or hospitalized by then :)

Next idea:

How about a newsgroup devoted to `whistleblowing'
where anonymity is encouraged? It could even be `anonymously moderated'
where all the postings are guaranteed to go through an anonymous server
before posting. (Whoever wanted to be *really* sure could anonymize the
message before posting.) I haven't seen *any* newsgroups dedicated to looking
at government abuses from the "inside" (this would be for employees esp.)
I can imagine all kinds of neat little secrets about our government's
illustrious practices leaking out..  The potential for `good' is good,
esp. if the notices refer to ways of *saving money* and *eliminating waste*.
A sort of patriotic taxpayer watchdog group!  Although the possibility
for `bad' is good too, people might just use it as a way of getting
revenge. (Despite what others may think here, I hope it wouldn't turn into
a sort of perpetual incitement to revolution and anarchy...)
The group might overlap into private industry too, although
the federal government assuredly provides the most fodder...

Now, think about how much immense *press* and *publicity*
that some government abuses get.  They can really be legendary (remember
the $600 toilet seats?). Now, suppose that just coincidentally a major
press story that got out *originated* in this anonymous group.
Wow! That would be a story in itself, worthy of the
evening news. Can't you imagine some blank-faced, clueless reporter saying
``the story was first reported on a network bulletin board devoted to
anonymous reporting of government abuses.'' Allright! Hey, it could get
to the point where reporters start watching it for hot tips!  There are
already a lot of big Washington groups that try to monitor the government,
and this could be a real catalyst for them.

So I'm putting out the idea. Maybe someone well-versed in the newsgroup
addition protocol can take care of the details.

(Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seat belts, I think we're in for some
hellacious turbulence ahead...)