she's at it again :-)

Cypherpunks,

	(My apologies if this is already widely known; I haven't seen
any mention of it on this list)

	In the March 1993 IEEE Spectrum magazine on pp. 16-17, Dorothy
Denning again floats her support for digital telephony bill in an
article entitled "Wiretapping and cryptography".  I quote her:

"Although government regulation of cryptography may be somewhat
cumbersome and subject to evasion, we should give it full
consideration.  Regulated encryption would undoubtedly provide far
greater security and privacy than no encryption at all, the current
state of affairs for most personal and corporate communications."

Regulated encryption!?

This topic was discussed quite thoroughly in sci.crypt in response to
Tim May's post.  And the topic is still kicking...

The article is very interesting, containing many oxymorons:

"On the contrary, implementation of an intercept capability together
with appropriate security measures is more likely to lead to
telecommunication systems that are "smarter," more secure, and of
commercial interest to other countries."

"while often labeled as "anti-privacy," wiretapping actually serves to
protect the privacy of law-abiding citizens and the business
interests of corporations"

| Karl L. Barrus                    |
| [email protected]             | <- preferred address
| [email protected] (NeXTMail) |