Re: Future of anonymity (short-term vs. long-term)

   Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 14:08:14 EST
   From: [email protected] (Perry E. Metzger)

   I think that instead you should have a less than optimistic view of the
   quality of our current netnews software. The problem you list can
   be fixed with public key cryptography and some intelligent changes.

   As another example, its easy to assure that moderated newsgroups are run
   just by the moderator -- he public key signs instead of posting with
   the "Authorized" header. Easy as pi.

And you have an over optimistic view about how fast new netnews software
could be developed and deployed.  Also, keep in mind that netnews is run
by lots of real sites, who have real assets which could be reached if
sued by RSA.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of realism in these discussions, which is
really bothering me.  Oh, well....

						- Ted