Re: Modem encryption proposal

Perry:

I may have missed something, but I don't see where synchronization is a
concern.  The whole of idea of Kermit is to provide a "binary" path
between two computers.  It is Kermit's responsibility to ensure the data
is received in the same order as sent (sychronization is part of the
Kermit protocol, no?).  If we have a data stream coming from
a keyboard or whatever, which we run through an invertable encryption
algorithm, and then pipe it into Kermit which makes sure it gets to the
other side, Kermit need not know where the data is coming from.  The other
side of course has to know the protocol and the key...  I believe that
Kermit allows variable sized packets per file transferred, but does it
allow the packet size to vary during the transfer?  I'd have to go find my
Kermit protocol reference on that one.  You would want this, as well as a
relaxed timing on the protocol, if its to come from the keyboard, as a
user does not (and/or cannot) normally type as a consistant rate...

---
Nick MacDonald               | NMD on IRC
[email protected]  | PGP 2.1 Public key available via finger