Raving on...

Hmmm,  getting some mixed responses from the group on the raves
idea,   below are my comments....

>   I don't mean to rain on the parade, but young people (myself
>included) go to Raves to get away from the problems and injustice
>the clipper represents. Bringing in your personal PC to generate keys
>isn't going to draw a crowd. MOST ravers don't have, don't know, and
>by and large don't care about computers - let alone mass
>communication and encryption schemes. What can the government do if
>they don't care? It's the "music" scene.

That might be partially true,  and depends on the rave.   Most raves
I go to have all sorts of computer related demonstrations,  and
exibits.    I've been getting very positive interest on the part
of rave organizers.

Brian says:

>Hmm... the problem is I don't think a majority of the people at raves are
>focused enough to concentrate on something as technical as that (I KNOW it
>isn't technical to you and me, but the average raver doesn't even
>know what the word encryption means).  HOWEVER, raves ARE the ideal place
>to hand out info about what's going on, something the raver can cling onto
>to read and understand when he's not high on {vibes,music,drug,etc.}.  Give
>pointers to where to get more info or where to obtain PGP, and perhaps
>most importantly, WHY THEY NEED IT.  Within a certain amount of time, but
>most likely sooner than any of us anticipate, there will be more people with
>email access than without, so "taking the message to the streets" is becoming
>less and less of a fanciful idea....

I agree that we should keep it non-technical,  thats why I proposed that
raves have tables set up where PGP copies can be given out,  literature
can be displayed for ravers to take home later...   Then,  there are
those hard core cyberpunks that will take in EVERYTHING including lots
of drugs.

For those UK folks,  Craig Larson from the USA will be working with sponsors
to a totally awsome rave of an estimated 40,000 folks.   Now THATS a good
place to get the word out,  spark intererest in encryption,  etc.

And on and on..

JD