Re: PGP on soda.berkeley.edu

Hal,

I think you are being overly paranoid.
Jim Bidzos must protest the use of PGP. If he doesn't, he will
lose the ability to claim that companies have to pay for RSA.
He has publicaly, and repeatedly, stated that the ITAR is a crock.
Don't wave a flag infront of the bull.

He has personally told me that he is very interested in a RSA approved
program that is PGP compatible. He simply can NEVER say that PGP is OK.

If we are to say to the politicians that normal folks need strong encryption,
then we have to start without being labled criminals for violating the
US laws. If I remember, you are not in the US, so it is fine to
ignore Bidzos. I can not write my congressman and saw Clipper is bad, PGP is
good when use (and development) of PGP is against the law.

We could argue that the law is bad. I can agree. But changing the law
will take so long that RSA will be illegal. Then when I use it,
it will be grounds for a search warrent.

Pat
Pat Farrell,      Grad Student                       [email protected]
Department of Computer Science, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA