800 numbers

>On a note similar to remailers, has anyone ever given consideration to
>creating an "outdial" service?  [a redialer operation for telephones]

I've been wanting to do this for years.  As soon as we get a digital
coin system running, I'm going to work on getting one up in Berkeley.

There are some interesting issues here similar to remailers.  Fancy
schemes tend not to be all that secure because the in-band audio
signalling is not conducive to crypto.  Just having the redirection
service is enough now to disrupt Caller-ID.  When ISDN is standard,
you can you the money transaction on the D channel, out of band, and
digital.

Eric