Lobbying for Cryptoprivacy, non-U.S.

>I have shied away from any "political" action against Clipper because I am
>unsure how a Canadian can help...

Non-U.S. citizens can lobby hard to get all phones containing
key-escrow (aka wiretap) chips banned in your country.  You have a
very good argument: do y'all want Yankee spooks listening in on your
phone calls?  Make sure the following specifics are included in the
legislation:

* Try to get key escrow banned *in general*, instead of just from foreign
countries.  In smaller countries this will be easier since its doubtful
small governments can set up a spook/chip-maker axis to rival the
NSA/Mykotronx/VLSI axis in the U.S.  In fact probably only the U.S.,
cooperating major European countries and Japan have such a capability.

* Be careful with the wording of the legislation; be sure to
specify *key-escrow* and not any other forms of cryptography.

* If political feasible the legislation should specifically encourage
private, commercial forms of cryptography.

Jim Hart
[email protected]