Re: Is Clipper Almost Dead? (was: Clipper and Tipper on Route 666)

writes Timothy C. May:

>- that AT&T is pissed-off at the bad publicity they're getting, and at
>the confusion and delays in delivering the final version of the chips
>(sounds contradictory, but I think you can see how they'd be pissed
>that they're catching hell---and for nothing on their bottom line so
>far).
>
>- that heads may roll in the NSA/NIST world, with Clint Brooks, the
>point man on Clipper, being moved sideways or down to another job.
>Sounds like damage control is starting.
>
>- that Dorothy Denning is now almost isolated from her former
>colleagues, at least in terms of her reputation, and that she herself
>is trying to do some damage control (but several of us think she'll
>mainly be the "outside consultant" for the Feds for years to
>come...that is, she's cast her lot with the Feds).
>
>So, the efforts of the EFF, various corporate policy groups, security
>activists, and even our own group, seem to have paid off.
>Clipper/Capstone seems to be in a state of confusion.

This is welcome news, indeed.  I can see why AT&T would be pissed -- if
it gets out that the Clipper/SkipJack/Capstone combo is a major step
towards Big Brotherism, then their whole "You Will" commertial series
will not be accepted as well as I think it has so-far.

>We may not have to push too much harder.

Maybe not, but we should not just say "Well, there... we've done it." and
stop pushing all together.

>I say we increase our attention on the Data Superhighway and try to
>kill it as well.

Agreed.

>--Tim May

- -nate sammons

- --
| Nate Sammons  [email protected]  (303) 491-1578                  |
|   Colorado State University -- Computer Visualization Laboratory      |