Re: Standard for Stenography?

On Wed, 2 Mar 1994, Jef Poskanzer wrote:

> By the way, this discussion is an example of something I have labelled the
> "silence is invisible" phenomenon.  It goes like this: there's a discussion;
> some of the participants work out an answer, and as far as they're concerned
> the discussion is over.  However, other participants don't understand the
> answer, and keep on talking.  In a physical meeting, the talkers would
> notice the annoyed looks on the faces of everyone else; or if the meeting
> had a good facilitator, he or she would catch on to the misunderstanding
> and correct it; but in cyberspace, those feedback mechanisms don't happen.
> ---
> Jef

I agree that it does not happen in that way in cyberspace, but I disagree
that it does not happen at all.  Confused people in cyberspace tend to
talk of topic instead of being silent.  If you are a good moderator, you
can almost read the minds of the people who are confused.  I admit it
takes more skill in cyberspace, but it is still quite possible.
===-|)/\\/|V|/\/\ (_)/_\|_|\_/(_)/_\|_| Stop by for an excursion into the-===
===-|)||| | |\/\/  mud.crl.com 8888 (_) Virtual Bay Area!                -===